In 1985, two companies across the ocean from each other got their start out of desires to bring some of the finer things in life to English and American homes. Emma Bridgewater began a lucrative business in pottery design and production in Stoke-on-Trent, a town in Victorian England. Meanwhile, in Philadelphia, PA, Joanne Hudson started a career that has given her a distinction of excellence in kitchen design. Today, Emma Bridgewater Pottery is in USA homes partly because Joanne Hudson makes the coveted imports available at joannehudson.com.
Emma Bridgewater potteries are made with the same pride and care that artisans put into the famous Staffordshire earthenware of the mid-1700s to 1800s that originated with Josiah Wedgwood. Emma’s love for the fine cream-colored Staffordshire of old was her inspiration, and her factory is a grand tribute to the era’s craftsmanship.
In Stoke-on-Trent, about 120 handcrafters make Emma Bridgewater Pottery for the USA and the world. The factory is housed in a sunny and handsome brick nineteenth century potters facility complete with a studio where Emma and her husband Matthew Rice design all the artwork that decorates their pottery. The artisans handle each piece about 100 times, and some of the techniques used in their handmade creations include slip casting or pouring the liquefied clay into molds. Next, much of the decorating is done with the ancient art of sponge printing.
Find timeless Emma Bridgewater teapots, coffee pots, plates, bowls, mugs, baking dishes, serving pieces, pet dishes, and much more in these ever popular designs.
- Black Toast: Classic black and cream items for the country kitchen.
- Polka Dots: A bright and ever popular pattern in ceramics since the 1800s.
- Starry Skies: This design is timeless with its cobalt blue stars.
- Union Jack: A cheerful and bold pattern that makes fabulous conversation pieces.
- Pink Hearts: These sweet heart pieces are perfect in any kitchen.
- Festive Stars: A wonderful accent to Christmas tables in shades of red and green.
- Diamond Jubilee: Celebrate Queen Elizabeth’s 60 years on the throne in 2012.
- Red Stars: A perfect pairing with some of the other pottery designs.
Emma Bridgewater Pottery in the USA is a favorite gift received by newlyweds, moms, grandmothers, and best friends. It is a beautiful and lasting way to let those special people know how important they are, and the easy-care pieces are microwave and dishwasher safe. Give a gift that is unique and remains an enduring art form that recipients will be grateful and proud to own.